Skin minimalism is about more than a skincare routine – it’s about going back to healthy, vibrant, natural beauty. But what’s the catch?
Get ready to see ’Skinimalism’ posted all over your social media feeds.
Skin minimalism, according to Pinterest Predicts, is going to be the biggest beauty trend of the year. For those of you unfamiliar, skin minimalism, this movement is all about ditching the cake-face makeup routine and embracing the dewy, natural, clean look. But, let’ be real – is this just another marketing opportunity for those beauty brands to sell you 100$ serums? Haven’t they always promised consumers naturally glowing skin with their 60$ BB Creams?
But as a consumer, you have the choice to not buy into these marketing schemes and instead, inform yourself of what it truly takes to create a naturally beautiful look (with and without makeup).
Let’s get into the details of Skin Minimalism, including what a minimalist skincare routine looks like and what minimalist skincare brands have been embracing ‘skinimalism’ long before it became a beauty trend. Plus – the dirty secret you need to know behind what it actually takes to get glowing skin, naturally.
It’s time to embrace low maintenance skincare
If you are wondering how to get glowing skin naturally – it doesn’t involve a 10 step skincare routine or 1000$ products. It also doesn’t include expensive facials or jade rollers. Here are 6 things you can do right now that don’t involve spending any money (if you don’t want to).
Free Skinimalism actions you can implement immediately:
- drink a glass of lemon water upon waking (jump start to your metabolism)
- drink more water (like – LOTS more, more than your body weight if you can – this is how your body will flush toxins)
- facial yoga exercises (these relieve tension in the face and honestly, it just feels good)
- – mediate (seriously – stress creates oxidative radicals that damage your skin, so chill the f*ck out)
- stop touching your face (your dirty little fingers are putting bacteria onto your skin that love to feast on your natural oils)
- STOP picking at your skin. No more popping pimples, scratching at blemishes, or digging out blackheads – not only are you touching your face (see the last point) but you are damaging your skin and giving more opportunities for breakouts to occur.
Keeping true to the low maintenance theme, here are….
3 Essential products to include in your minimalist skincare routine.
- sunscreen (this is a nonnegotiable, gone are the days of banana boat tanning oil. Even if you think your skin isn’t sun damaged, it is.
- facial cleanser (wash your face TWICE. Once is not enough to remove all the dirt, impurities, toxins, and just general makeup off your face)
- tinkles (your own little mini dermatologist session)
What are the best minimalist skincare brands?
I only use vegan, non-toxic, cruelty free products. This is the only way to achieve truly healthy skin (while also buying products that are better for animals and the environment).
100% Pure is an award-winning company that exclusively sells vegan and cruelty free beauty products. It has been recognized worldwide as a top beauty brand and celebrities have been seen wearing it on the red carpet. Whether you want products for your natural everyday makeup routine, clean skincare products, or anything in-between, this company should be your go-to. I’ve listed my Top 10 Skinimalism Products from 100% Pure at the end of this post.
My second fav (and more affordable) minimalist skincare brand is Native. This new-ish company is my go-to brand for body wash and deodorant. They have AMAZING scents, their prices can’t be beaten, they ship your orders lightning-fast, and their customer service is the bomb. I mean really, any company that makes a ‘rosé’ deodorant skyrockets to the top of my skincare brand list.
The Dirty Truth About Skin Minimalism
You don’t want to hear this – but if your diet is shit, your skin is going to be shit.
It doesn’t matter how many homemade skin care products you buy or that you use aloe vera masks every Sunday – none of it will matter if you eat poorly. Your skin is a reflection of your internal health. So if you want to have naturally glowing skin – think twice about that sugar-filled Bellini and massive heap of greasy (but delicious) French fries.
Your go-to Skinimalism Products
Now, that we’ve addressed the number one culprit behind bad skin, let’s look at what minimalist skincare products will help you achieve that healthy, natural look.
Warning: I am incredibly biased in my minimalist skincare brands and I will only promote products I’ve actually used. Since I almost exclusively use 100% Pure products, that is what I am going to suggest for your minimalist skincare routine.
In my mind, a minimalist skincare routine is all about hydration and protection (especially in the summer when you are patio hoping & sipping Sangria).
These are the top ten ‘skinimalism’ products to use daily:
1. Wake up and refresh with Cucumber Cloud Foam Cleanser
2. Give your skin a burst of hydration with Hydra Drench Cream
3. Nobody wants sun damage, so even on cloudy days use Green Tea SPF 30
4. And, for those spots prone to burning use Everywhere Sun Stick SPF 30
5. Once you’ve got your skin prepped & protected, glow it up with Luminous Primer
6. Follow up with a lightweight Fruit Pigmented Tinted Moisturizer
8. Polish the look with some cheekbone highlights using Gemmed luminizer
9. FINISH THE LOOK BY GETTING ‘NAKED’ WITH FRUIT PIGMENTED® LIP GLOSS
10. Then end the day with a Green Tea Water Bomb
I know what you are thinking.
There is ZERO chance I am giving up my MAC obsession or 500$ skincare regime.
My challenge for you is to try just one of these products and see how it feels. I guarantee the first time you use the coffee bean eye cream and that scent of cocoa hits your brain, you’ll be convinced. By the time you try the naked gloss and realize you don’t have to end the day with dry, chapped lips – you’ll be converted.
Skinimalism is great – but doing it with vegan and cruelty free products is even better.
Thank you so much for reading 🤍 If you enjoyed this story, sign up for the Sunday Scoop where I send a dose of inspiration & interesting tidbits to your inbox weekly. Of, if you’re feeling extra generous, you can buy me a coffee ☕️🌷 at Ko-Fi!